professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > April > 19 April 1941 Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden

19 April 1941 Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden

 19 April 1941   Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden

On 19 April 1941 Lady Muriel Barclay-Harvey, wife of the Governor, unveiled the Pioneer Women's Memorial Statue in the Garden of Remembrance just below Government House. The inscription on the pedestal of the statue reads:

     This Garden of Remembrance and the Flying Doctor Base at
     Alice Springs were established in the Centenary Year of 1936
     by the women of South Australia as a tribute to the pioneer
     women of the State.

Money for the Garden and the Flying Doctor Base was raised through various activities conducted by women of the Pioneer Women's Memorial Trust, set up in 1935. The land for the Garden was donated by the City Council and the statue, in Waikerie limestone, was sculpted by Ola (Carola) Cohn of Melbourne. Also on the pedestal is a sun dial, designed by George Dodwell, who was Government Astronomer, and the words 'The hours vanish yet are they recorded'.

M. Broughton, Chronicle Cameos,  Nadjuri, 1977, pp. 19-23.

Tags: Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/april/19-april-1941-pioneer-womens-memorial-garden.shtml