professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > April > 23 April 1960 The Adelaide Rifles

23 April 1960 The Adelaide Rifles

 23 April 1960   The Adelaide Rifles

On 23 April 1960 a ceremonial parade was held through the city to mark the occasion of the Grant of Freedom of the City for Entry of the Regiment.

The Regiment is the 10th Infantry Battalion (The Adelaide Rifles) which became a unit in 1860 on the amalgamation of several independent metropolitan rifle companies formed in 1844. The original headquarters were in the vicinity of the old police barracks (behind the Museum) and its parade ground was where the museum now stands. On the outbreak of the Boer War many members of the unit joined the South Australian contingent.

In 1914 the 10th Battalion sailed as a unit in the 1st Division and took part in the landing at Anzac Cove and remained at Gallipoli until the last. In 1916 serving in France it became known as the 'Fighting Tenth'. Between the wars the Adelaide Rifles returned to its original role of a Militia Unit.

In 1939 many serving members volunteered for overseas service and the 2nd/10th was formed as part of the 6th Division, and in the Middle East as part of the 7th Division. Later they fought in New Guinea and Borneo. 

On the re-organisation of the Australian Military Forces, the 10th Battalion was disbanded on 30 June 1960. On 1 July 1960 it became part of the 1st Battalion Royal South Australian Regiment which is headquartered at the Torrens Training Depot.

City of Adelaide Year Book,  1971/74, pp. 71-75.

Tags: 10th Infantry Battalion, Royal South Australian Regiment, The Adelaide Rifles

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/april/23-april-1960-the-adelaide-rifles.shtml