professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > February > 6 February 1878 Jervois Bridge

6 February 1878 Jervois Bridge

 6 February 1878    Jervois Bridge

On 6 February 1878 the Jervois Bridge at Port Adelaide was opened by the Governor Sir William Jervois. 

This iron-swing bridge replaced an old wooden one which linked Le Fevre Peninsular to the Port at the Copper Company's wharf. Although the new bridge was responsible for a quicker turn around of shipping it caused inconvenience elsewhere because gas and water mains had to be disconnected every time it was opened. To maintain these services on the peninsula, a water tower was built at Semaphore and a gasometer at Peterhead. The water tower closed when a 12 inch main was laid from Happy Valley reservoir and it was sold in 1936. In 1915 a fixed bridge for the railway was built half a mile south of the Jervois Bridge.

After many deputations to the Commissioner of Public Works dating from the 1890s, procrastinations and delays, the second opening bridge, the bascule type Birkenhead Bridge was built and opened on 14 December 1940. It was the first of its type in Australia.

Centenary History of Port Adelaide, 1956, pp. 51-52.

Tags: Jervois Bridge, Port Adelaide

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/february/6-february-1878-jervois-bridge.shtml