professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > January > 22 January 1870 Central Market

22 January 1870 Central Market

 22 January 1870   Central Market

The Central Market in Adelaide was officially opened on 22 January 1870. At the early hour of seven in the morning the Mayor and Councillors were at the market when, after a short speech by the Mayor to the assembled crowd of growers, stall holders and citizens, the market was declared open for the sale of produce, marketable commodities, hay and wood, in accordance with the regulations laid down by the Market Act of 1847. After the formalities the representatives of the Corporation adjourned to the Metropolitan Hotel nearby for breakfast where several toasts were proposed. The Artillery Band provided entertainment throughout the proceedings.

The two acres for the market were purchased in 1869 and a further two acres were added in 1889. The Market Arcade was erected in 1915 and completed in 1923. Further development was considered in 1956 but was not completed until 1966, with more work done, including the building of a car parking deck above the arcade, in 1968.

125 Years of The Advertiser , Advertiser Newspapers Limited, 1983, p. 23.

City of Adelaide Municipal Year Book , 1971-74, pp. 260-261

Tags: Central Market

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/january/22-january-1870-central-market.shtml