26 January 1838 Holy Trinity Church North Terrace
The contract to build Trinity Church on North Terrace was let to John White early in the new year of 1838 and the foundation stone was laid on 26 January by the Governor, John Hindmarsh.
The first service was held on 21 July when Mr Howard, the colony's first chaplain, baptised the daughter of Mr Foster, and two children of Dr Cotter. By October the building was considered too small and it was enlarged by adding a transept and vestry, which, at a cost of £1300, was more than the original building cost of £1000. The church's finances were only just recovering when, in 1844, it was found that the walls and tower were cracked. The church was closed for repairs from December 1844 to August 1845. Holy Trinity was consecrated in July 1848.
Since then the church has been altered and enlarged several times. The walls were raised, a chancel and wooden ceiling put in, the tower was made higher and the distinctive pinnacles added. The clock was made in 1836 by Vulliamy, clockmaker to William IV. As the oldest church in South Australia it served as the Governor's church and pro-cathedral until St Peter's was built in the 1870s.
Brian Dickey, Holy Trinity Adelaide 1836-1988 , Adelaide, 1988