professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > March > 10 March 1986 Carrick Hill

10 March 1986 Carrick Hill

 10 March 1986   Carrick Hill

Carrick Hill, a grand estate at Springfield, bequeathed to the people of South Australia by Sir Edward Hayward who died in 1983, was opened to the public for the first time on 10 March 1986.

The Queen officially opened the house and grounds the day before as part of the State's Jubilee 150 celebrations. Although the house is in the style of a late Elizabethan English Manor house, it was built in 1939 for the Haywards and was especially designed to house the Waterloo Staircase which, along with other pieces, was purchased from the historic Beaudesert mansion in Staffordshire, England.

The house also features antiques, works of art in silver and pewter, and one of the finest private art collections in Australia. The English-style garden with its roses, cut cypress hedges, and a pleached pear walk is surrounded by native Australian bushland. Part of the 37 hectare estate is developed as a sculpture park and many Australian sculptors have their work displayed there, alongside Jacob Epstein's bronze of 'Mother and Child'. The Estate, like the Christmas Pageant, is a marvellous legacy of Sir Edward Hayward to South Australians.

Brochure: Carrick Hill.

Tags: Carrick Hill, Hayward Sir Edward

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/march/10-march-1986-carrick-hill.shtml