professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > May > 1 May 1915 Haigh's Chocolates

1 May 1915 Haigh's Chocolates

 1 May 1915   Haigh's Chocolates

On 1 May 1915 A.E. Haigh placed the name 'Haigh's Chocolates' on the window of a shop at 34 King William Street, in the Beehive Building. Seven years later, in 1922, he moved to the corner shop which is still selling Haigh's Chocolates more than 70 years later.

Alf Haigh was born in Jamestown, and as a young man he made sweets at night to sell in his store. About 1900 he moved to Perth, but in 1905 returned to South Australia and settled in Mount Gambier. There he had a mixed store and made his own ice cream and soft drinks. In 1912 he established another shop in Pinnaroo.

His enterprises prospered and he decided to move to Adelaide where he purchased the business of Carl Stratman in King William Street. By 1919 he had a small factory operating in Parkside. Again he prospered and was able to build Haigh's Building at 41 Rundle Street although he retained his business in the shop on the corner. In the 1920s the factory at Parkside was extended to cope with his expanding trade. By this time he had shops in Hindley Street, Glenelg, Port Adelaide and country centres. He died suddenly on 14 August 1933, but his family continued making fine chocolates.

Haighs 50 Years 1915-1965.

Tags: Haigh's Chocolates

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/may/1-may-1915-haighs-chocolates.shtml