professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > November > 8 November 1962 Myponga Reservoir

8 November 1962 Myponga Reservoir

8 November 1962      Myponga Reservoir

The official opening of the Myponga Reservoir was conducted by the Governor, Sir Edric Bastyan, on 8 November 1962. Investigations into a proposal for a dam on the Myponga River began in 1930 but the proposal was deferred in favour of the construction of the Mount Bold dam on the Onkaparinga River and the South Para dam to the north of Adelaide. However, by 1954 it became apparent that another major storage was required and the plans were revised. Work began on 9 November 1956. The dam is constructed of concrete and contains 72,900 cubic yards; it is 156 feet above the stream level and the roadway on top of the wall is 742 feet. The reservoir has a capacity of 5905 million gallons from a catchment area of 48 square miles. The trunk main to Happy Valley Reservoir is 29.5 miles long and had to traverse difficult terrain in parts. The dam supplies towns on the Fleurieu Peninsular. In 1962 the Mount Bold dam wall was raised to increase the capacity from 6,662 million gallons to 11,500 million.

Souvenir Official Opening Myponga Reservoir, 1962.

Tags: Myponga Reservoir, water supply

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/november/8-november-1962-myponga-reservoir.shtml