professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > October > 23 October 1879 Home for Incurables

23 October 1879 Home for Incurables

 23 October 1879        Home for Incurables

The Home for Incurables, now known as the Julia Farr Centre, was incorporated on 23 October 1879. The suggestion that a home for people suffering from incurable complaints came first from Julia Farr, wife of the headmaster of St Peters College, who had already helped to found a home for orphan girls, and she was supported by Dr William Gosse. With the voluntary help of others the Home was founded on 23 September 1878. The committee purchased nine acres of land at Fullarton with an eight-roomed house which was altered and enlarged. The first patients were admitted on 17 October 1879, some coming from the Destitute Asylum. In 1880 it was realised that a bigger building was already needed and it was decided to build anew rather than add to the existing house; this structure was completed in February 1881 and provided accommodation for thirty patients. In its fiftieth year the Home catered for 142 patients and had been enlarged considerably, funds coming mainly through donations and bequests. In the 1970s more buildings were completed giving the Home capacity for over 800 people and it was furnished with the latest equipment to help the physically disabled as well as recreational and occupational therapy for the patients’ welfare.

Colin Kerr, The Home for Incurables the first 100 year, 1979.

Tags: Farr Julia, Gosse Dr William, Home for Incurables

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/october/23-october-1879-home-for-incurables.shtml