professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > September > 12 September 1846 John Daw and St Mary’s Church [South Road]

12 September 1846 John Daw and St Mary’s Church [South Road]

 12 September 1846 John Daw and St Mary’s Church [South Road]

The first service of St Mary’s Church of England on South Road was actually held in a schoolroom on 12 September 1846. John Daw who arrived in South Australia on 23 September 1838 had orders for land worth £1000 bought by his father in England and with these he purchased 1000 acres south of Adelaide at what is now the suburb of St Mary’s. Daw later donated land for the church, rectory and school. The schoolroom was built first and the church and graveyard of St Mary’s on the Sturt were consecrated by Bishop Short on 11 May 1849. Daw later sold his property to B.H. Babbage and in 1860 moved to Kangaroo Island where he became first chairman of the Kingscote District Council. He died at Cygnet River on 21 February 1911 at the age of 85 years. Daws Road and Daw Park commemorate his name. The old schoolroom was demolished in 1928 but the church and graveyard remain in the midst of the busy commercial area of South Road.

Register, 11 February 1928, Newspaper Cuttings Book. SLSA.

Tags: Daw John, St Mary’s Church [South Road]

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/september/12-september-1846-john-daw-and-st-marys-church-sou.shtml