professional historians australia (south australia)
Home > On this day > September > 27 September 1839 Alexander and George Murray

27 September 1839 Alexander and George Murray

 27 September 1839 Alexander and George Murray

Alexander Murray arrived in South Australia from Scotland on 27 September 1839. In 1842 he bought property at Magill from his uncle Sir James Malcolm. He also had property at Mount Crawford where he planted what, but as this was not very successful, owing to problems of wheat smut, he resorted to his knowledge of sheep flocks. He also had land at Wirrabara where his name is remembered in Murraytown. He was MHA and MLC for nearly 25 years.

On his death on 17 March 1903 his son George Murray, a lawyer who became an associate of the Chief Justice, Sir Samuel Way, and later Chief Justice himself, took over the properties and had extension made to the house at Magill. By 1910 ‘Murray Park’ was a show piece and Sir George as Lieutenant Governor entertained many distinguished visitors there. A great philanthropist he gave many thousands of pounds to the University and Teachers College. He died on 18 February 1942. ‘Murray Park’ became part of the Magill campus of the SA College of Advanced Education (now University of South Australia).

Eric Gunton, Gracious Homes of Colonial Adelaide, Adelaide, 1983, pp.83-4.

Tags: Murray Alexander and George

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/september/27-september-1839-alexander-and-george-murray.shtml